Pages

Monday, April 23, 2012

Rosé Wines for Spring




I think rosé wines are absolutely perfect for spring-- especially when you now live in a town where April resembles February where you're from. Rosé is the perfect in-between: the longer, (slightly) warmer, (sometimes) sunnier days are dragged down by too dark and heavy a red, yet are not quite sweaty and grill-smokey and bright enough for summer whites.

I used to say I hated rosé wines. That's because the only rosé wines restaurants ever serve are White Zinfandels, which, to me, taste like Arbor Mist. They're the cheapest wines on the menu because they should be.

But a few months ago when my mom was in town, we went to a nice, brightly lit restaurant inside the Art Institute of Chicago, and she ordered a rosé called "Whispering Angel." It was a revelation. It was dry, light, and crisp-- not sweet and syrupy. We both loved it. So I ordered us each a bottle when we got home. Ever since then, I've been investigating dry rosés, and here are my top 3:

1. Whispering Angel, 2010 Cotes de Provence, by Chateau d'Esclans, $15.99- jjbuckley.com


Wine Spectator says, "Robust, with dried red fruit flavors accented by herbal, minerally overtones. The firm, juicy finish is powered by hints of licorice. Drink now."

I know Wine Spectator knows more about wine than I do, but I disagree with the "robust," and especially with the "licorice." I think the wine is quite light, not robust, and I despise licorice, so if I sensed it (and I would have!), I would not like this wine. But minerally, dried red fruit flavors is pretty spot-on.

I ordered mine online here.

2. Gris de Gris, 2010 Vin des Sables, by Domaine de Figueirasse, $7.99- Whole Foods Market



Not as impressive as the Angels Whispering and all, this Gris de Gris is still quite crisp and nice. Here's what the people over at Artisan Wine Depot have to say about it: "Made for summer and fresh seafood. A pale pink sunrise in the glass, this rosé reminds of framboise, ripe blood peaches, fresh buttery pie crust and cherry juice in its aromas. Very expressive! The mouth is a wave of fresh flowers and pink fruits, with suggestions of rose water and white pepper. Figueirasse makes its home near the Camargue delta along the southern French coast, and its terroir is almost exclusively sand. These unique soils give the wine both a bit of texture in the mouth as well as a sea-kissed, mineral freshness. Orange zest and more white pepper offer a lively kick to the finish. A very unique blend of 30% Cincault, 20% Grenache Gris, 40% Grenache Noir and 10% Grenache Blanc."

Considering that my ideal preferred "terroir" is "almost exclusively sand," this wine is AWESOME, especially for the price. I got mine at Whole Foods for $7.99! Call your nearest location, or, if you don't have one near you, it's available online, too.

3. 2010 Cotes de Provence, by Quinson Fils, $5.99- Trader Joe's 




Another Côtes de Provence, this lovely rosé is a Trader Joe's exclusive. I found it on the bottom shelf of an obscure (read: NOT Charles Shaw) aisle of ol' TJs. It's quite nice, and a bit like its Côtes de Provence rosé cousin, "Whispering Angel," though not quite as elegant. For $5.99 though, it's pretty darn good!

Over at cellartracker.com, on 11/17/2011, Jason Rzutkiewicz tasted this wine and rated it 83 points: (12.5%) Nice pale salmon pink color (not dyed). Medium bodied, pleasant Grenache like strawberry and watermelon fruit. Spiced minerality. Dry, crisp and pleasing. Perhaps a bit faint or simple on the back of the palate but no flaws here. Still delivers for the price point despite the strange bottle. If you are looking for a rosé this is as good as it is going to get for $5.

Exactly, Jason. But, hey, buddy, I like the strange bottle. 

Hopefully soon I will be able to deliver reviews such as this one, or even USE the word "minerality" (at all, somewhere), but for now, all I can tell you is they taste good. And they are not White Zinfandels. Which is good, unless you like White Zinfandel. In which case, enjoy ordering the cheapest wines on the menu, gosh darnit.




1 comment:

  1. That was the best lunch and museum visit! And the wine ... oh my :) I am so glad you listed a couple others that I can try too that are bit more my budget. Can't wait to try them. Only wish I was there having our getting super ready glass of wine together!

    ReplyDelete