Pages

Monday, April 16, 2012

Edith Wharton's The Age of Innocence


Being the English major that I am, I always find it hard to write a cute little blurb on a book, as I'm used to writing 10-15 page papers exploring the hegemonic and Marxist readings of New York society in the 1870s blah blah blah. But I will do my best here.

I love this book. I know I'm going to be inflammatory and divisive, but this is what Jane Austen would be if she were as great as everyone thinks she is. This, too, is a novel of manners, but in a more interesting way.

First, it's refreshing to see such a novel in an American setting. I had never before read anything like this that was not set in England. There is much debate about whether or not Wharton is criticizing New York upper class society or vindicating it. An article on "The Millions" recently advocated Wharton's stance on morals.

I respectfully disagree. Writing from a Realist perspective, Wharton exposes us to this society, with both its criticisms and its vindications. More importantly, she lets the characters struggle with this duality, without much narrative interruption. 

Wharton's characters, especially her female characters, contain a level of complexity that is often lacking in novels such as this. For example, Madame Olenska, the Europeanized cousin of the society ladies, is not really a rebel. She wants to fit in, to please her family, but she just can't quite figure it out. She also can't quite squash her needs, her inspirations, her self in order to please everyone. But she is a vibrant, strong character with both a conscience and a heart.

Much of the novel deals with a society that is a relic from the past. But the book also asks us to explore the ever-relevant question of how humans navigate our societal and familial obligations, which often grate against our innermost needs and emotions.

If the book were written today, it would have ended differently. But that would have been an endorsement of a certain morality and mentality, which I think Wharton wanted us to figure out for ourselves. I love writers who know their readers are intelligent.

I highly recommend this book. It's FREE on Project Gutenberg, which you can also get FREE through iBooks on the iPad. Or there's always the more traditional routes. It's a fast read, and it makes you think, while also exemplifying a beautifully composed novel with dazzling detail. 

Happy reading!

1 comment:

  1. This has been on my (very long) too-read list for forever, but you may have just helped bump it to a spot nearer the top. :)

    ReplyDelete